Take the Necessary Steps to Secure the IoT
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making the professional lives of manufacturers much more convenient. Unfortunately, the same can be said for cybercriminals looking to wreak havoc on your organization. Your organization needs to take the necessary steps to secure the IoT and your business.
To avoid becoming a victim, take these initial steps to safeguard your organization against potential threats lurking in the IoT:
- Audit your IoT inventory — First, determine what IoT devices are already connected to the network. It may seem obvious, but many organizations aren’t considering this initial step.
- Design a secure network architecture — If you are careful with your network design, you can embrace the technology and benefits of IP-connected devices.
- Monitor your suppliers and vendors — The companies that supply goods and services to your organization are just as vulnerable to IoT risks as you are. It may seem daunting, but monitoring and controlling vendor practices in the IoT space is a must.
- Use available certifications — There is a growing awareness of the need for some kind of authoritative certification process that can verify the security of a device. Underwriter Labs is building out an IoT certification, but it has not had a lot of success trying to drive better standards and common practices around better security techniques in this space.
- Prepare for a data breach — Practice makes perfect, so drill for an IoT data breach like you would for a fire, earthquake or other catastrophic event.
By working with your IT consultant to address these issues, you can start building an appropriate security plan for your organization and the IoT. 2W Tech has IT consultants on staff who specialize is security solutions and the IoT. Contact us today to get started on minimizing your security risks.