How Protected is Your Microsoft 365?
It is hard to ignore the news these days, between the pandemic and the last presidential election, news channels have no issues filling an hour timeslot. News broke over the weekend that foreign hackers have been monitoring email exchanges between the US Treasury Department and the National Telecommunications and Information Administration. It is believed the attackers intruded through malicious code in an IT product called SolarWinds, which allowed them access into the network which they then used to break into Microsoft 365’s email client.
This should serve as a reminder that if a government entity can get hacked, it very well could happen to your business as well. Although this particular attack was of no fault of Microsoft, there are still ways to better secure your Microsoft Outlook acount to avoid hacks.
- Set up multi-factor authentication: This is the best way to protect yourself from someone stealing your login credentials. The extra layer of protection will help keep you safe from someone hacking your password.
- Protect your password: Never duplicate your password for accounts. You should choose a strong password, one that avoids using common words and is at least eight characters long. Consider using a password manager so you are not overwhelmed trying to remember all your unique combinations.
- Avoid phishing scams: You need to pay attention to each and every email you receive and DO NOT click on anything that looks suspicious. Most phishing emails will appear legit, so you need to look for something amiss like a misspelled word, something maybe from a slightly misspelled source (like 2wtec.com or 2%wtech.com).
- Protect your apps: On your phone or desktop, only install and run apps from legitimate sources, like the app store for your device. It is also important to keep all your software up-to-date, so any security updates get applied.
- Account recovery: Set up your account to make it easy to recover in case you do get hacked. Make sure you keep all account recovery information up-to-date to keep your account safer.
Data breaches happen everyday all over the world, so do not think for a second this can’t happen to you. 2W Tech is a technology service provider and Microsoft Gold Partner. We have IT Consultants on staff that specialize in both security solutions, as well as the Microsoft 365 product suite. Give us a call today to ensure the safety of your organization’s network and data.