Make Your Own Rules to Combat Cybersecurity
The latest and greatest products to protect your organization from cybersecurity threats. But the human element is always at play, as well, so you must implement an internal policy to empower your employees to keep cybercriminals at bay.
Here are the basics any in-house cybersecurity policy should cover:
- Get educated – We’re on the last day of National Cyber Security Awareness Month, so take advantage of the NCSAM tool-kits tips and resources.
- Create a cybersecurity plan – The first step to securing your network is to make sure your employees understand security policies and procedures. Help them understand the importance of updating their software, adopting security best practices and knowing what to do if they identify a possible security breach.
- Intelligent passwords – If you deal with highly sensitive data, you may want to require multi-factor authentication, which requires users to present at least two identifying factors, like a password and a code, before gaining access to systems or programs.
- Increase email security – Basic email safety precautions, like not opening suspicious attachments or links, are a first step that can be covered in your employee training plan.
- Use firewalls and antivirus software – Some firewalls also have virus-scanning capabilities. If yours doesn’t, be sure to also install antivirus software that scans your computer to identify and remove any malware that has breached your firewall.
- Secure the Wi-Fi network – Your device comes with a default password, but make sure your network is encrypted with your own, unique password.
- Protect your payment processors – It’s crucial to work with your bank or payment processor to ensure that you’ve installed any and all software updates.
There are plenty of ways to empower your workforce by creating your own rules for cybersecurity protection. There’s no need to attempt to tackle this part of your business on your own. Contact 2W Tech today to get started with your Cybersecurity Compliance Program and let our IT Consultants do the work for you.