HIPAA Compliance is for any company that deals with protected health information as they must ensure that all the required physical, network, and process security measures are in place and followed. HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, sets the standard for protecting sensitive patient data. The HIPAA Security Rule requires appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and security of protected health information (PHI).
The Security Rule is made up of 3 parts:
- Technical Safeguards: focuses on the technology that protects PHI and controls access to it
- Physical Safeguards: set of rules and guidelines that focus on the physical access to PHI
- Administrative Safeguards: collection of policies and procedures that govern the conduct of the workforce and the security measures put in place to protect ePHI.
Failure to comply with HIPAA regulations can result in substantial fines being issued and criminal charges and civil action lawsuits being filed should a breach of ePHI occur. There are also regulations you need to be aware of covering breach reporting to the OCR and the issuing of breach notifications to patients. To sum it up, HIPAA is asking you to abide by these things:
- Put safeguards in place to protect patient health information
- Limit use and sharing of medical information to a minimum
- Only release medical information to service providers that you have agreements with whom abide by the necessary security measures
- Implement procedures to safeguard patient health information and take the steps to properly train your employees on the correct processes
2W Tech has a Cyber Security Compliance Program that is designed to support our Client’s compliance obligations. Most organizations must abide by and maintain a standard for controls that safeguard the confidentiality and privacy of information stored and processed. We work hand in hand with you to learn more about your required compliances, help obtain proper agreements, and access relevant system architecture information. Give us a call today to get started on your journey to achieving compliance.
7 Steps to a Holistic Security Strategy
Interested in reading this article? Click the button below to download this asset.