Cybersecurity Awareness Month Stresses the Importance of Multi-factor Authentication
Now that Cybersecurity Awareness Month 2022 is in full swing, let us talk about one of the easiest ways your organization can immediately strengthen your cybersecurity posture, multi-factor authentication.
According to a recent study, almost half of respondents in the United States and the U.K. said they have “never heard of MFA.” But of those who knew about multi-factor authentication, most had applied it to their online accounts (81 percent) and were still using it (90 percent), showing that once MFA is enabled, users will keep using it.
As part of Cybersecurity Awareness Month, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency and the National Cybersecurity Alliance are pushing a few easy-to-implement strategies to help strengthen cybersecurity overall, including MFA.
There are numerous ways MFA is available today, including:
- An extra personal identification number (PIN)
- The answer to additional security question like, “What is your favorite pet’s name?”
- A biometric identifier like facial recognition or a fingerprint
- A unique number generated by an “Authenticator App”
- A secure token, which is a separate piece of hardware, like a key fob that holds information, which verifies a person’s identity with a database or system
We here at 2W Tech have been encouraging our clients to turn on multifactor authentication throughout their operations for years now. It is a straightforward way to decrease your odds of becoming a victim of cybercrime. If you need help, give us a call. 2W Tech’s cyber defense team is ready to help you protect your business. 2W Technologies is a technology solutions provider specializing in solutions for the manufacturing industry. 2W Tech is a Microsoft Gold Partner. We can help your organization use the right tools to fight against cybercrime.